Couples in which one of the partners comes-out as transgender or non-binary sometimes face significant challenges. This training highlights not only the crisis that this self-affirming process can generate, but also the strengths and resilience that can develop as the couple moves towards the integration of this new reality. In the context of parenthood, the fear of negative impacts on children is an important issue within the couple and will be addressed from a developmental perspective.
- Describe the stages of grief associated with the transition of the gender diverse person.
- Describe the different challenges facing couples in transition in adapting to change.
- Identify the most effective therapeutic interventions.
- Identify the challenges in the parent-child relationship.
- Support the couple in transition
- Managing the coming out crisis: Social role, sexuality, safety issues
- Redefining the relationship
- The impact of the parent’s transition on the child:
- Interacting with the school
- Reducing the risk of parental alienation